Search This Blog

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Out and about locally

Riding the Sandhills
My life has been revolving around work and the weather lately.  The weather has been beautifully warm during the week but then getting cooler and/or overcast on the weekends.  I'm not complaining too much about the good weather during the week though because we managed to get in a textbook perfect jumping day last week.  A flawless exit, accurate canopy navigation and a soft, clear landing made me a happy jumper last week.  It's amazing how an afternoon away from paperwork participating in a "real" Army event can put everything back in perspective!

Continuing on my windblown escapades, the short deviation from the pattern of cool and overcast conditions yesterday morning provided a perfect opportunity to soak in the 80 degree weather and roll out some miles.  Clear skies and roads didn't last much longer than early afternoon, but it was enough to refresh my spirit and clear my mind.  Therapy on two wheels for $3.90 a gallon is a steal in my book!

Even though the weather has fluctuated between winter and spring the last few weeks, mother nature is clearly leaning towards the downhill slide to summer.  Dogwoods, azaleas and numerous other blooming plants that I don't know the names of have provided an explosion of color to my daily commute, rides and walks.  Although I didn't get a good picture of any to post today, the brilliant red and fuscia pink shades of azaleas around here remind me of my Mama (Grandmother) Daigle's front yard growing up.  She had a green thumb like no other making her yard a sight to behold during any season. It may not be Louisiana but I'm fortunate to live in a quaint, historic downtown district where homeowners take great pride in their landscaping.  There's one particular house down the street whose yard is always immaculately manicured, and right now it's a sea of tulips!  The first time I can remember acknowledging a tulip was on a two week detachment to Iceland during my Air National Guard days.  Although there was still snow on the ground, there was no denying the coming of spring as red and yellow tulips pushed their way through the slush in their pursuit of sunlight.  For some reason, those colors and flowers have stuck in my mind over the years.

Airborne & Special Operations Museum lobby
Since the weather today wasn't as bright and warm as I prefer for outdoor adventures, I decided to make another trip to the Airborne & Special Operations Museum.  Just as I've visited the Naval Aviation Museum dozens of times while stationed and visiting Pensacola over the years, I've taken many outings to the ASOM since being stationed at Fort Bragg.  With temporary exhibits rotating through on a regular basis, there's always something new to take in.  I used to roll my eyes and bemoan history classes during high school, but now that I'm old enough to have lived through some of the events now depicted as "history", it's suddenly much more interesting!

With the opening of the North Carolina Veterans Park last year right across the parking lot from the ASOM, there's a ton of things to see in the two landmarks.  The 15 foot "Iron Mike" statue posted out front of the museum  symbolizes the World War II era paratrooper and represents all Paratroopers who have come through Fort Bragg.  The overcast sky today didn't provide good contrasting for my outdoor pictures, but I'll try again another day.

Like everyone reading this blog, I'm gearing up for another busy week.  I hope everyone has a fulfilling week waiting for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To screen out spam and/or inappropriate remarks, comments are moderated and will not be displayed until after they are approved.