Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2014

"Today's weather prediction...MAJOR Sunshine"

I couldn't help but to giggle as I read this wall post by L.F. on my Facebook page Thursday morning!  After only being back from the Gettysburg adventure for a few days, friends and family started arriving into town for my military promotion to MAJ.  It was a stressful few days as I tried to teach classes and fulfill work obligations in addition to preparing for house guests, a ceremony  and parties.  I've learned over the years though to just roll with it; it may not turn out perfect, but it will all be OK.  True to experience, the last several days turned out to be extraordinary!

Although not as big of a deal as advancing from E-6 to a Chief Petty Officer (CPO) in the Navy, there is a significant shift in  leadership focus when an Army officer advances from company grade (Captain) to a field grade officer (Major).  In the most basic terms, a Captain's concern is on executing  particular tasks and correcting/preventing specific problems in a unit.  A Major however, should be focused on the system in which those tasks and problems exist.  Instead of focusing on an individual event, the field grade officer is expected to view that event in the context of the bigger picture.  At my age and breadth of experience, I feel as though that shift in thinking occurred quite some time ago for me, but now I will be given more responsibility upon which to put it to use.

Nick, me and Doc
I cannot overstate the impact that several excellent mentors have had on my personal and professional development over the years.  I was honored when COL Russ Kotwal, one of those mentors, agreed to be the one to promote me to MAJ in an official ceremony even though his own retirement ceremony was a month ago (he's not officially "out" however, for a few more months)!  This humble, unassuming man is not only a legend in Army medicine (go ahead, google him!), he also has the uncanny ability to influence everyone around him to live up to his or her full potential.   Although some strong-arm tactics may have been involved, another one of COL Kotwal's mentees Nick, a friend and colleague whom I admire, consented to wear his dress uniform and to be the one to read the promotion orders.  Nick is currently pursuing his PhD in the civilian sector, so appearing in an Army dress uniform was an arduous request! 



Pyran, me and Dad
In the presence of what we estimated to be around 60 people, the two most significant veterans in my life, my dad and uncle, removed the CPT shoulder boards from my dress uniform and replaced them with those of MAJ.  These two men's military service not only acted as a catalyst for my enlistment in the Navy 25 years ago, but has continued to inspire my ongoing commitment to the Armed Services.



CVMA family did a group ride to the ceremony on post
Over tasty beverages at later get-togethers (more on that in future posts), my co-workers acknowledged that I probably win the award for the most diverse crowd at a military promotion; family, members from several military branches, civilian friends, coworkers, students and bikers!  It was hard to hold back the moisture forming in my eyes as I gazed out at the audience and saw so many of my "families" gathered to help me celebrate this milestone in my life.  Although I truly value and enjoy military traditions, I don't particularly feel comfortable with pomp and circumstance when it comes to events involving me.  So when COL Kotwal asked me what kind of ceremony I wanted, I emphasized that it should be official, yet short and sweet.  True to my request, he highlighted my strengths which contributed to this advancement in rank while graciously downplaying my shortcomings, delivered sage advice for my future role as a field grade officer, and promoted me all in the span of about 10 minutes!

I'm not very good at reciting written words verbatim, so I tried to paraphrase a quote in an effort to summarize my feelings about this promotion.  The quote is one that is included in the signature line of an officer for whom I have an immense amount of respect.  These words are by General Maxwell Taylor... "The badge of rank which an officer wears on his coat is really a symbol of servitude to his men."  I will do my best to live up to that sentiment.         

No comments:

Post a Comment

To screen out spam and/or inappropriate remarks, comments are moderated and will not be displayed until after they are approved.