Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

I'm just a girl

...I'm just a girl in the world...that's all you'll let me be...
...they won't let me drive late at night...
...this world is forcing me to hold your hand...

These lyrics to the song I'm just a Girl written by Gwen Stefani and performed by the band No Doubt swirled around my brain during the ride today.  Sometimes I'll hear a song and I'll sing it to myself in my head (or out loud!) or hum it for hours after it's done playing.  But several comments made to  Mylissa and I this trip have caused these lyrics to ring true and  have prompted me to write about them and not just hum the tune.  Here's a sampling of the highly intelligent comments, always  spoken  in a condescending tone, that we frequently get from  men when we are stopped for gas or traffic:

"That's a mighty big bike for a girl!"
Really?   I hadn't noticed that the 850 lb, 103 cubic inch piece of machinery I was sitting on was big, thanks for bringing it to my attention.  Oh, and thanks for reminding me that I'm a girl because there's not at least one arrogant, chauvinistic man like you making a comment about my  looks, my bike, my clothes, my walk, hell, just the way I  exist on this earth, at least once a day, to remind me.

"Can you handle that thing?"
Funny you should ask me that question here in Missouri while you're looking at my Texas license plate.  Exactly how do you think this bike got here in this parking lot with me sitting on it?

"Is that your husband's bike?"  Usually followed by "Oh, you must've gotten it in the divorce then."
If I had a husband and it was his bike, he would likely be riding it.  As for getting it in a divorce, the only thing my divorce 20 years ago got me was a lot of debt and my maiden name back.  What I do have, however is a J.O.B!

"What would you do if that thing fell over?"
As I eyed up the morbidly obese, middle-aged man wearing coveralls with no shirt and in obvious need of a bra, I said "the same thing you would do, I would ask someone to help me pick it up."

"Nice bike; I would love to have one, but my wife won't let me".
I was waiting at a red light in Coronado, CA the first time I heard this one.  I just smirked and replied "that's why I don't have a wife", then winked and rolled away on the green light ;-)

Here's a sampling of comments I usually get from women:

"That's so awesome that you have your own bike."
Why, yes it is, thank you!

"Aren't you scared to ride that thing by yourself?"
Cautious, but not scared.  Anyone who rides a motorcycle should feel hyper-vigilant anytime they ride since other drivers are not usually looking out for motorcycles.  As for the "by myself" part, I would be way more stressed if I had someone on the back!

"You're inspiring me to get one of my own!"
If you can afford a second vehicle, go for it!  But take a class first.  Don't let a loved one teach you (that never works out well), take a no-kidding riding class, then start riding.  I swear to you, it'll change your life.

One of the most frequent gestures I get from women though is a thumbs up sign and a big grin!

Of course, not every man that makes a comment makes a chauvinistic one.  Sometimes  guys will comment how great it is to see women on their own bikes or how attractive a woman with enough self-confidence to ride her own bike is.  Whether it's from a male or female though, hearing "that's a really nice bike" is always appreciated :-) 





No comments:

Post a Comment

To screen out spam and/or inappropriate remarks, comments are moderated and will not be displayed until after they are approved.