Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

CDR Robinson.... Honor and Respect

Family entrance.  Photo by Maile Geis.
Where do I even start with this story? 

Perhaps at the beginning.  1994.  AT2 Daigle lived in one of the nicest apartment buildings in Fuenta Bravia, a little town just out the back gate of NAS Rota, Spain.  I was an E-5 in the Navy drawing flight pay, and due to frequent deployments involving flights over Bosnia, collecting hazardous duty pay and tax-free status.  Because of all this "extra" income, I was able to afford an expensive, sweet apartment right on the beach.  Most of the other occupants of the building were either summering Spaniards or Navy officers.

Whit receiving Seebee plague.  Photo by Maile Geis.
Enter one of the apartment complex tenants:   LT Whit Robinson.  From the moment we met, we were like brother and sister.  For those of you who think men and women can't possibly be "just friends", I have proof of several such relationships in my life.  I truly feel sorry for you if you've never had a platonic best friend of the opposite sex, because my relationships with Jim, Rob, Dave, Whit and a few others, are some of the most rewarding relationships of my life.  Because of Whit, I became not just a better NCO (non-commissioned officer) but a better person in general.  So many philosophical talks, adventures and shenanigans... 

And so, 19 years later, I found myself flying out to San Diego to attend his military retirement.  Because I'm in a training course that allows absolutely NO absences, I informed Whit a few weeks ago that I would not be able to attend. The universe conspired however, and I was able to miss a day of training to fly out West for the big event.  Kathie and I kept it a secret and surprised the crap out of him!

Whit presenting flag to Kathie.  Photo by Maile Geis
 Rewind to May of 2001.  I was a civilian and graduating with my undergraduate from LSU.  Second to enlisting in the Navy, earning a college degree was one of the most significant events in my life.  It was at this momentous occasion, surrounded by the best of friends and family, Whit brought a date; the love of his life.  And so it was, at my undergraduate graduation, I met Kathie.  I don't think Whit could've ever envisioned the friendship that Kathie and I would forge over the years.  We instantly hit it off, and from that day forward, have relentlessly ganged up on Whit!

As relayed by one of the guest speakers at Whit's retirement ceremony, Kathy has saved Whit from many a falling anvil (think of Wile E. Coyote in the Road Runner cartoon).  Kathie has been the perfect anchor to Whit's magnificently creative brain.  I can't imagine a better pairing.


Post ceremony flash mob!  Photo by Maile Geis

One of the things I love about the military, and particularly about the Navy, are the customs and traditions that ground us to a profession of arms.  I have known many people who just like to fade away once their 20+ years of military service is complete.  But to them, I counter that fading away is disrespecting the Service.  The coming together for a retirement is really a show of respect to the military and all those who have come before you.  Yes, it gives a sense of closure and "moving on" for the family, but ultimately, participating in the pomp and circumstance is a show of respect and a display of honor to the profession of selfless service.  I am not melodramatic.  I do not use the phrase "selfless service" flippantly.  Whit and Kathie both sacrificed during Whit's military service, particularly during his year in Afghanistan.  The dangers were very real; the sacrifices made for each other during that time were as real as it gets. 

Whit and Karen, numerous years and ranks later!  Photo by Maile Geis.

 CDR King, LCDR Bartlett and CAPT Medved captured the essence of Whit through their guest speeches.  With what I guestimate was 100+ people in attendance at the ceremony, it was so cool to hear different sections chuckle while different stories were told by the guest speakers.  Each one, in turn, successfully relayed the shenanigans, and leadership, of Whit during different times in his career.  Whit was a significant factor to me going to college.  Not only did he encourage my pursuit of education, he was the one with whom I raised my right hand so he could commission me into the US Army.  Oh, and did I mention there was a flash mob at the end of the ceremony to the song "Do the Hustle"!!!  

And so it was that I found myself in full ASUs (Army Service Uniform) on a chilly San Diego day, choking back tears as the US flag was respectfully passed from one Naval Officer to another, under music and oratory, to the awaiting hands of Whit; which he promptly transferred to the hands of the mother of his children. 

Anticipating Texas....Photo by Maile Geis.

Once the official duties were done, we retreated to Whit & Kathie's party yard for the after-hours party!  Whit's post-retirement job will bring him and the family to Houston, TX!!  Finally, we'll all live in the same state again!  Great food, adult beverages, and eclectic company provided for a memorable evening of celebrating Whit into the civilian world. 



Whit showing us construction site.
Before the weekend would end, we persuaded Whit to take a few of us on a tour of the Camp Pendelton Hospital Replacement Project.  Whit has been heading up this $450 million project for the last 3 years.  Impressive just doesn't capture the scope.  An impeccable safety record, fiscally responsible and ahead of schedule, this project is an appropriate ending to Whit's stellar career.

So with great joy and respect, I wish Whit, Kathie, Cal and Naomi a successful transition into the civilian sector and the next chapter in their lives.  I have no doubt they'll be just as successful in their new adventures as they have been in the past!

Congratulations Whit & Kathie! 

Oh, and kudos to Maile Geis for the great pictures of the day!  Please visit her website at www.mailegeisphotography.com to see her impressive portfolio of subjects in the San Diego area.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

To screen out spam and/or inappropriate remarks, comments are moderated and will not be displayed until after they are approved.