Search This Blog

Friday, November 23, 2012

Fat, stupid and happy!

 
The title definitely describes how I felt at the end of Thanksgiving!  I overate (not too much though), didn't tax myself intellectually (except for a few trivia questions) and was content in the place and time I found myself!

I know that everyone thinks that their mom is the best cook on earth, but I hate to break the news to the world... my mom really IS the best cook on earth!  Without fail, my mom pulls together a feast for what usually amounts to a small army every holiday.  And it's not like it's just a one-time sit down event on the special day.  With all the kids, grandkids and various family members old enough to have other social obligations, people drop in and out all day long ready to grab a plate and dig in.  No matter what time someone shows up at her house, Mom makes sure there's a hot plate of food available.



Although our Thanksgiving meal does include the uniquely Cajun dish of oyster dressing, the majority of what she prepares on Thanksgiving is pretty much the same as the rest of America.  The turkey is traditionally baked, not deep fried and the sweet potatoes are cooked with brown sugar and topped with marshmellows.  It's not the uniqueness nor the complexity of the dishes that make the meal so delicious, it's the environment in which it's prepared and served.  My parents, brother and sister, niece and nephews, cousins, aunts and uncles all enjoy each others' company and value the time we spend together as a family.  It's within the context of breaking bread with those we hold dear that the foods we share bring about a visceral feeling of home, of family and fond memories of those no longer with us.  It takes a great cook to get all that onto a table!!  And speaking of tables, I'm still at the kids' table!  That's me with Philip and Gavin at the folding table!
 
The temperature was in the mid-70s and the sky clear and windless.  After eating, we all hung out outside under the carport and played games.  The board games change throughout the years, depending on the ages of the "kids" and what's available, but trivia games are always a hoot.  My nephew Andy brought over his washer game.  For some reason, beanbags seem a little too Yankee, so they are substituted with metal washers down here- yes, the kind you use with nuts and bolts.  I don't know the history of using washers in the cornhole toss game, so if any of my Southern readers care to comment, please enlighten me!
 
As usual, the day ended with everyone lying around the TV watching either football or a movie.  I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving day surrounded by all you are thankful for! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

To screen out spam and/or inappropriate remarks, comments are moderated and will not be displayed until after they are approved.